Friday, October 7, 2011

Fomex strobe flashes - worth every penny to me.


When couple of months ago I decided to sell my small and simple strobes (monolights) and acquire new, a bit stronger ones, I promised some fellow photographers to share comments about the new ones I will get. Now, after several shooting sessions I think I can fulfill my promise.

As most times, I didn't have a big budget for it, and had to look around trying to find combination of a good value with fine quality, which can be a tricky task. I often order less known brands, risking disappointment, and sometimes I lose. But I am happy to say that I enjoy quite a few pieces of such photo gear which proved to be an excellent value and also very reliable. I think my new strobes will be added to that more fortunate category.

I did not look for very fancy strobes - but a stabilized light, quick recharge time, and a strongly made unit with cooling and good modeling light were what I was searching for.
After looking at several brands I felt a bit disappointed. Known brand names offered very little for a budget shopper, with their cheaper units being rather unimpressive to me (yes, including the Bee).
More affordable “no brand name” strobes on the other hand looked cheaply made, or did not have features I needed.
There was one Chinese unit offered on Ebay and on alibaba.com, called Menik. A Chinese made, but looking more durable and smart – it has an impressive 5 years' warranty and optional remote control, all with a really low price tag. It could be quite decent for the amazingly low price.

Still, I decided to dig more and I contacted a dealer of photo equipment from Korea I knew from before.
She highly recommended strobes made by Fomex, a small branch of the Korean giant Hyundai.
http://www.fomex.com/
I contacted Fomex directly for all specs, and they looked impressive. That Korean dealer I know http://stores.ebay.com/Mad-for-Camera?_trksid=p4340.l2563 offered me decent 3 year warranty and a good direct deal, therefore I placed my order for Fomex 200W and Fomex 400W strobes.

After a week I received my express shipment, all arrived intact and well.
I was instantly impressed with the quality of my new strobes. Made of fine aluminum and covered with some unknown to me fine finishing, with all-metal parts, Bowens mount and a very clever umbrella holder, they look and feel like the best Japanese equipment. Surely it is very durable, with very well made switches, a rather quiet cooling fan and really fantastic mount. Yes, the mount is really handy, allowing for quick and precise angle adjustments with a single hand. Switchable beeper and a tiny but strong 250W modeling light make it a really nice package to me.

I used them in several different setups, and both of them work like charm. Their super fast recharge is really impressive. The flash is so strong that in a very large room, using a large soft box I set it for about 1/8 to 1/16 power and still can easily work with ISO200. And, with such power setting, recycling takes just a split of second, so in fact I can have my camera take bursts of shots, all properly lit.
The precise power knob allows for 6 full stops of power range.

This strobe is so well made that if it would be one of top brand names, it would cost close to $1000 each, I would say. Yet, being rather new on the market, Fomex priced their strobe flashes really reasonably – making it a perfect deal. I was also told Fomex is looking for an agent/dealer in Canada – if anyone involved in photography is interested...
Ah, one more thing – I also ordered a special carrying bag for two strobes, very handy and protects them well!

I am happy to really recommend this line, and paste below specs for several models (model number indicates power of flash) I found in Fomex brochure.
Until next time! If you find my comments helpful, please click "Share".

Model
D200
D400
D600
D800
D1000
D1200
AC Voltage
100 - 120V , 50/60Hz
190 - 250V , 50/60Hz
Flash power
200Ws
400Ws
600Ws
800Ws
1000Ws
1200Ws
Tube Replacement
Detachable (Easy to replace)
Color Temp.
5,500k(±150k)
Power Control Range
F2.88 - F227
(6f-stops)
F4.09 - F451
(6f-stops)
F5.66 - F456
(6f-stops)
F5.69 - F640
(6f-stops)
F8.01 - F642
(6f-stops)
F8.06 - F647
(6f-stops)
Power Control Knob
Volume Controller (VR)
Recycle Time
0.1-0.7sec
0.1-1.0sec
0.2-1.3sec
0.2-1.3sec
0.3-1.7sec
0.3-2.0sec
Model Lamp Type
Halogen 250W (E11 base, screw typed)
Model Lamp Control
Volume Controller (VR)
Ready Charge
Sound On : Buzzer and LED On / Sound Off : Model Lamp Blinks
Over Temperature Warning
O.T(Red LED) Blinking, Warning Buzzer
Syncro. Voltage
DC 8V
Flash Trigger
Infrared Photo Cell, Synchro Cord, TEST Button
Sound
ON/OFF
Slave
(Infrared Sensor)
ON/OFF
Cooling Fan
DC Cooling Fan (Ball Bearing Type)
Size (W x L x H)
190x140x170 mm
7.5x5.5x6.7 inch
235mmx140x170 mm
9.2x5.5x6.7 inch
350x140x170 mm
13.8x5.5x6.7 inch
Weight
2.35kg / 5.2lbs
2.5kg / 5.5lbs
2.7kg / 5.9lbs
3.5kg / 7.7lbs
3.4kg / 7.5lbs
3.9kg / 8.6lbs

4 comments:

  1. Hi Derek!
    We are selling Fomex products in Russia, and let me add couple of words here…
    By my opinion Fomex has 2 main advantages:
    - very good build & HW design quality for such a budget price and nice parameters
    - long working life and stability

    During past 3 years of selling we got about 6-7 warranty cases basically related with HD400 flashes from the single supply (similar symptoms). It’s much stable than Canon products that we sell for example, he-he… :)
    Some of our clients use Fomex flashes 3-4 years without any problems, may be couple lamps were changed. No overheating during long sessions. That’s why we make 5 years warranty in Russian market for Fomex lights without any doubts.
    Regarding weaknesses… I guess color temperature fluctuation is a little bit higher than announced, changing from low to high power. Last year Fomex has change a flash lamps trying to fix this issue.
    Impulse duration could be shorter… But for such price – it’s definitely one of the best choices.
    Fomex is about N1 in South Korea local market, but I don’t know why they are missing international sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My photography college had one of these units; my teacher was quite happy to it compared to the elinchroms that made up the rest of the studio. I really liked using it. In Australia I can get it from 2 suppliers (that I've found so far) and both only offer a 12 month warranty :( I'm setting up a studio for my business that I will also rent out so I'm torn between the Fomex or going premium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. where to get it in USA?
    THANKS

    jmartin4020@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would get them on ebay, or directly from Fomex site. Some dealers in Korea sell these on ebay, and it may be best deal if you need only 2 or 3.
      I got mine that way, and it took only about 1 week to arrive. Cheers!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. It is most appreciated. For convenience of my readers all SPAM will be promptly deleted to keep this blog clean. Thank you!